Nothing is better than dinner straight off the grill. In the fall, you have a whole new array of fresh autumn tastes to work with, including apples, pumpkins and sweet potatoes.
Let’s take a look at some tasty and unique recipes for fall that the whole family can enjoy.
1. Pumpkin-Grilled Chicken
If you’re looking for a new way to use pumpkin, this dish is an unusual yet delish way to do so. These slightly sweet chicken breasts will definitely get you thinking about fall.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- black pepper
- Rinse chicken breasts and place in a shallow dish with a cover. Season with salt and black pepper.
- In a bowl mix pumpkin, chicken stock, honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, red pepper flakes and curry powder. Pour over chicken breasts and place in fridge to marinate for a minimum of eight hours.
- Heat grill to medium heat and place chicken breasts on grill. Cook with lid closed for five minutes then flip chicken over and cook for another five minutes or until it’s no longer pink inside.
- Serve with rice and steamed or grilled veggies.
2. Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 3-4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (including tender stems)
- 1 tsp of lime zest or lemon zest
- 2 tbsps of fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- While your grill is heating up, peel the sweet potatoes and slice lengthwise into 1/4 inch-thick pieces. Brush both sides of the slices with olive oil and lightly sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Next, make the cilantro lime dressing by combining all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl.
- Once the grill is hot, lay the strips of potato on the grill grates. Cover and cook until each side has grill marks, usually four or five minutes per side.
- Once cooked, toss them in the dressing and serve hot.
3. Grilled Apple Crisp
Who says you can’t cook dessert on your barbecue? This grilled apple crisp is not only full of flavour, it saves you from a major kitchen clean up.
- 5 cups peeled, sliced apples (Granny Smith or another tart variety is best)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
Prepare your grill by heating one side to medium-high heat.
Next, add the apples to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Combine flour, oats, sugars, cinnamon and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Using a fork, press the butter into the dry ingredients until course crumbs form. Sprinkle over the apples and then place the skillet over indirect heat. Cover the grill and cook until the apples are completely tender and the crumble is golden and crispy. This can take 30 to 40 minutes depending on your grill.
Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream.
Jacuzzi Hot Tubs and Backyard Living of Surrey
Just because fall is over doesn’t mean grilling season is. All of the best grills, BBQs & smokers can be found at Jacuzzi Hot Tubs and Backyard Living of Surrey. Whether you’re interested in our line of Sabre Grills or ceramic charcoal grills, drop in for a visit at any of our three British Columbia showrooms. One of our experts would be happy to help you find the perfect grill for you.